You will be the technology bridge between customer needs and technology solutions. Engaging with the Product Team, Sales, Development and others to shape, scope, and design customer focussed solutions balancing customer requirements, technical needs, operational support and business objectives. You will have overall responsibility for producing the end-to-end solution design.
Working in a rapid, fast-paced environment you will drive solutions design forward, helping establish best practise principles for our varied domains that includes PaaS, co-located services and hardware with the primary focus being on our innovative PaaS (AWS based) solutions.
In collaboration with the CDO & Head of Solutions you will help influence the strategic direction of the business and help define the fundamental technical architecture and principles that support the business moving forward.
Role and responsibilities:
- Analyse and document our existing technology environments (in house and 3rd party) to gain an overview of our technology stacks and their strengths, weaknesses. Highlight opportunities and threats to existing platforms and services.
- Provide support to the business through the sales cycle from pre-sales to readiness assessments, cost optimisation, POC builds through to product go-live.
- Be the weapon of choice for Sales and the Product team in solutions design for customer needs.
- Communicate design decisions, best practise and solutions in plain and clear business terms to customers, internal teams, the board and investors.
- Be the contact point for resolution of solutions requirement and design issues
- Drive the solutions design and decision-making process by articulating options and implications, ensuring designs are appropriate, flexible and robust.
- Selecting the technology stack for product development ensuring it is the most suitable for a service/project.
- Analyse non-functional requirements and ensure that product development and software development will meet them.
- Ensure that the end deliverable can be monitored and supported effectively.
- Drive solutions design forward by implementing best/appropriate processes and practises in alignment with our product led agile development strategy.
- Be the subject matter expert on trends in solutions design and architecture.
- Investigate new and evolving technologies through research, conferences and events; developing expertise in geographic information systems (GIS), satellite and maritime space.
- Collaborate closely with the Product team and Solutions team to ensure product roadmap and the technologies are coordinated and enable current and new product requirements.
- Work closely with Head of Solutions (Development, DevOps and QA) to ensure that projects integrate the latest technology and DevOps / QA best practises to support continuous integration and deployment.
Skills and experience:
- At least 2 years’ experience in architecting, estimating costs and solutions design built on AWS
- Advantageous if combined with experience of on premise and co-located solutions design.
- Data modelling experience is very important and preferably in GIS.
- Good understanding of the security, performance tuning, resilience and availability required
- Good knowledge of DevOps tools, automation and methodologies used to deploy solutions within a cloud platform.
- Working knowledge of MicroServices and container-based systems.
- Good understanding of using automation tools/APIs to bridge services together
- Practical experience of Agile and Lean delivery